The Orange Slate

| simpler is more |

A Day in the Life

October 7, 2014

photo 1-8 copy 3

Working from home and caring for our three-month old is a sanity-strengthening exercise. On the one hand, I’m unarguably the most mature person in the room for most of the day. On the other hand, by about 4:00 p.m. on days with no conference calls, I begin to wonder if the English language has been permanently reduced to overly inflected speech and farm animal sounds.

Some days seem like a blur of “Miles-conference call – Miles – notes – Miles – dash through 30 emails – Miles -dinner – Miles – project – Miles- 30 more emails – bed.” Sometimes I wonder if I could be more efficient, be a better worker, be a more attentive mom. Ok, not sometimes – every day.

So I tracked myself for a day. Here’s a little peek into our whirlwind.

5:45 a.m. Miles begins to wail. I pretend that it’s just a dream and continue to hide under the covers. Mark nudges me. I give up. Two against one. I feed Miles.

6:30 a.m. I stumble into the kitchen and start heating the water for the French press.

6:45 a.m. – Knock out some invoicing and emails.

7:00 a.m. – Start perusing the contents of the fridge for smoothie supplies. Get sidetracked cleaning out the fridge. Remember that I’m making a smoothie and refocus. 1 banana, the rest of the raspberries, orange juice…

7:15 a.m. – Mark walks into the kitchen and splits the smoothie. We drink them while we do a devotional together.

8:00 a.m. – Mark leaves. I jump on a conference call.

8:40 a.m. – Call is over. I hear Miles stirring in the bedroom. From then until 10:00 a.m. is Mommy-and-Miles time. We sing, tickle, talk, do tummy-time, and get dressed. Miles nurses again and falls asleep.

10:00 a.m. – I work, do laundry, straighten up the house, and shower. I feel very productive until I get sidetracked on Facebook trying to track down someone from church. I remind myself to reconsider deleting my Facebook account.

11:45 a.m. – Miles is awake. More tummy-time and singing. Miles practices in his Bumbo chair and plays on the floor. Mommy gets lunch.

1:15 p.m. – Another nap for Miles. More work for Mommy.

photo 3-8 copy

2:00 p.m. – Miles spends 20 minutes trying to eat his stuffed cat, Murphy. I send videos to my parents. “Look at how adorable your grandchild is! And so talented!” We read “The Story of Jesus” (the edible cardboard version). I keep working while Miles plays in his gym.

3:00 p.m. – I conduct a phone interview. I take notes on my laptop while sitting on the floor by Miles. He is sufficiently entertained by the strange faces I make in between questions and by his gym for the duration of the call. When the call ends, Miles eats again and we head to the grocery store and Home Depot. Miles sleeps, waking briefly to greet the checkout guy at H.E.B. At Home Depot, I check to see if I am the last person of the season to look for outdoor cushions. I am, and there are none in stock. I briefly consider buying a white pumpkin instead. Miles wakes up. I leave the pumpkin.

5:00 p.m. – It’s a beautiful afternoon. Miles eats again. Then I put Miles into his Ergo and we walk to the mailbox.

5:45 p.m. – Miles continues to eat Murphy and sits in his swing nearby while I start chili. I decide to add mushrooms. I provide Miles with a running monologue while I cook. “Garlic is really the key here, Miles. And try to use fresh basil.” I wonder if there is a market for cooking shows for children 2 years and younger.

photo 2-10 copy

6:45 p.m. – Mark comes home and leaves again to run. I bathe Miles. Mark and I eat. Miles tries to eat Murphy again. I decide that the mushrooms are a good addition. Then I google “Are mushrooms healthy?” and find out that there is an entire group of people who think that mushrooms are potentially carcinogenic. I tell Mark that I’ve raised our collective chances for cancer.

7:30 p.m. – I try to put Miles to bed. Mark protests and takes Miles from me.  They play.

8:15 p.m. – Miles starts to wail. I feed him once more and put him to bed. I’m working on a more structured nap/bedtime system. He drops off almost immediately. Success! I drink a glass of wine and start to work on a blog post while Mark does homework.

8:45 p.m. – Mark finishes his homework. We find another disturbing documentary on Netflix (this one is about people who have escaped from cults) and turn it on. Miles starts to wail. So much for bedtime. We play with Miles and watch the documentary. Miles finally goes to sleep only well after it ends. We are failures at bedtime.

11:00 p.m. – Sleep!

 IMG_4904 - Version 2

Only registered users can comment.

    1. Monica,

      It was sort of terrifying! I think my day was more organized and productive because I knew I was taking notes on myself! I’ll have to keep trying it to keep myself on track.;-)

    1. Rachel, GAMECHANGER. Seriously. They were so good I chopped them up into pretty fine chunks (onion-sized?). I thought maybe the taste would overpower the rest of the ingredients, but no. Also, probably a good way to chunk up a vegetarian chili??

Comments are closed.